Sprint 3

Adding Polish to Eye-Robot

Posted on December 2, 2016

Sprint 3 Robot

Our third Sprint was focused around iterating on our third sprint to produce a final product. We wished to implement all our final features so that we could spend our last few weeks making sure that eye-robot was as reliable as possible.

Sprint 3 Head

Knowing that our sprint two MVP had been floppy,slow, and hard to work on, we rebuilt the entire robot to be stiffer, more responsive, and easier to maintain. We moved the raspberry pi and gimbal pan servo into the head of the robot, building a robust and rigid 3d printed bearing system. We added speakers and a microphone to the head and switched the camera out to the final, wide angle rasberry pi camera that we intended to use.

Sprint 3 Drivetrain

We redesigned the drive base to incorporate more powerful motors and a new, improved tensioning sytem. We also redesigned the tread mounts to be much stiffer, having noticed that the sprint 2 design flexed a significant amount.

Sprint 3 Current

Our controls system underwent some minor changes. We made relaibility improvements to ensure the robot would bring itself back online after a power cycle and added another motor controller to handle the higher current drawn by our new motors.

Sprint three taught us that the mechanical changes we had left to make would likely consume our time without adding features past our minumum viable product. It also taught us to consider assembly time in design and buy quality compnents earlier to get a better idea of what user experience will be like like. Going into our last two weeks, the team targeted reliability as our last remaining major risk. Knowing that an unreliable system would be useless to the end user, we decided to spend our last two weeks testing and debugging the robot instead of adding new features.

Sprint three’s Eye-Robot had one major shortcoming - that the gearmotors we had ordered did not have enough torque for our heavier than anticipated robot, nessecitating a further 2:1 reduction on our final design.