Sprint 2

Validating our pressure system mathematically

Prototype of water distribution system

This sprint, we figured out the physics of water, such as how wide our pipes need to be given the size of our nozzles, how tall our water supply needs to be in order to obtain the amount of water pressure we need for water to flow through our nozzles at an aesthetically pleasing rate, and how much loss occurs across the long pipe. This helped us make a series of design decisions, such as what kind of pipe to purchase and how large our system needs to be. We were able to use this information to build a prototype of our water distribution system.

We also prototyped a water distribution system with one nozzle. This included a 3-D printed nozzle. We printed two nozzles- one printed on the Mark Forged printer, and the other on the Stratasys. This helped us decide how we would be printing our nozzles. We decided to primarily utilize the Stratasys because it can be printed much faster than the Mark Forged and is reasonably waterproof.

We also proved that we have control over our system but manually inputting patterns into our arduino, which can be seen in the videos below:

We also were able to write a program where we modeled a stream of water and a series of nozzles in order to try to visualize the timing of our images and nozzles using python in order to visualize the water falling out of streams.

Lessons Learned

Looking back on this sprint, we felt that we could've been more effective during sprint 3 if we had done more of the math and simulating during sprint 2 rather than during sprint 3. At the time, we didn't feel as though we could make as much progress during sprint 2 under the excuse that we didn't have the parts. In reality, we probably could've done much more that didn't involve those parts. We also learned how to recover from a broken prototype and have an overall fairly successful sprint review despite this.

Mechanical Progress

We built a working prototype of our distribution system, even though it broke the night before the sprint review. This was very validating in terms of getting our final system working based off of this design.

Electrical Progress

There was not substantial electrical progress made this sprint.

Software Progress

This sprint we wrote a program that helped us visualize our stream of water. Ultimately this was helpful for figuring out the timing of multiple streams of water.